Friday, June 09, 2006

Teen Pregnancy





I know most of us know that teen pregnancy has been a problem for many years, and girls younger and younger are getting pregnant everyday. Sex among teenagers is here and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere as everyday more and more kids make adult decisions. A dilemma I was confronted with not long ago was centered around a young girl who is pregnant and doesn't want to tell her parents because they will certainly throw her out of her home if they find out she is pregnant. She has currently gathered enough money for an abortion and the only barrier to her getting the abortion currently is the distance to the clinic where the procedure will take place. Now as both sides of the argument line-up and we begin the Abortion is wrong and the Women's right to choose arguments. Let's first put ourselves in this young child's shoes. If I tell my parents they will kick me out of the house. If I abort this baby, I can continue my life, not get kicked out of my house, go to college, but I will forever remember the child I could have had, and instead killed. I could have this child and give it up for adoption, and after I endured all nine of the months, I'm supposed to give up my baby? How could I, and why are so many foster kids I've met so screwed up after growing up in and out of different homes. Finally if I keep my child, how will I afford it? Can I afford it? And I wonder if my baby's father will even help me...

The problem for me is not that this child is having a child and that she had sex before she was married, for me the problem lies with her inability to tell her parents and have their support rather than disapproval and disownership. I believe this child needs help and support rather than ridicule, how do you feel about the situation, let me know, post a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that parents should be supportive in this situation, but at the same time make sure the child knows that this behavior is not acceptable. My mother first got pregnant when she was fifteen and her parents were split up. She didn't want to tell her mom because she her mom would make her keep it and live with her mistake. She didn't want to tell her dad because she knew she would have to get an abortion. She chose to get and abortion and conceal it from her mother. If her parents could put aside their differences just for a moment to help their daughther, I may have got a chance to share in the joy of an older brother or sister, my mom wouldn't have to go through so much pain as a fifteen year old, and so many lies and deception wouldn't have to come about.