Friday, April 03, 2009


Profile interview with very talented artist, Keith Rosemond.







Keith Rosemond II 22yrs old, Double major in Illustration and Graphic Design, Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, www.keithrosemond.com

A.A.C.: When and how did you discover that art is what you wanted to pursue?

Keith Rosemond: Like a lot of artists, I’ve been drawing ever since I can remember, so I guess it was always assumed that art was going to be my profession [in] some way or another. My father is actually the person who started my interest in drawing because he would sometimes sketch and doodle in his free time.





A.A.C.: What kind of art do you do?
K.R.: It’s really hard to separate different types of art, so I guess the best way to describe it is to say I create 2D illustrations using traditional mediums such as watercolor, ink and pencil. I also create more text-based graphic design artwork using computer programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.


A.A.C: Who and what influence your work?
K.R.: I absolutely love comic books and cartoons; they are where I find a lot of motivation to create artwork. I think it’s simply because they really stretch the imagination of the reader and viewer. In these forms of artwork, anything is possible, and I love that. More traditional forms of artwork that influence me are African Art, African-American art and Japanese prints. These last three influences are very evident in my style of illustration.


A.A.C.: Who in the art world inspires you?
K.R.: In the world of comic books and cartoons: Eichiro Ida, Masashi Kisimoto, Ikeno, Arthur Adams, Lesean Thomas, Eric Canete and Bryan Hitch are a few artist that stick out in my mind. In the illustration world: James Jean, Yuko Shimizu and Sam Weber are great! Fine artists Maurice Evans and Kadir Nelson really inspire me, and Japanese printmakers Kuniyoshi and Hokusai are simply amazing!


A.A.C.: What is it that you ultimately want to achieve?
K.R.: That is a great question, which I don’t know the answer to, even though I feel I should. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it’s to use my gift to fulfill God’s plan for my life.


A.A.C.: What has been your greatest accomplishment(s) so far?
K.R.: Probably this interview (lol) I don’t think anyone has ever wanted to ask me questions about myself to put on the Web from everyone to see, so this is pretty cool.


A.A.C.: What have been some obstacles you've faced?
K.R.: Finding my market and audience in the art world and being able to attack successfully.


A.A.C.: How did you get through them?
K.R.: I’m currently sending out postcards with my work to potential clients to see who I get a response from.



A.A.C.: What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
K.R.: Keep creating and make sure you have the big three: Talent, Tenacity and Targeting (the ability to find you market).




Check out more of Keith's work at www.keithrosemond.com

No comments: